You’ll be mind blown by how good this easy beef kidney recipe for keto and carnivore diets is! If you want to eat more nose to tail, this 3-step stovetop dish is a great way to normalize the presence of nutrient-dense organ meats in your home.
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 14 minutes
- small pot with lid
- 1 beef kidney
- salt to taste, optional
- butter best cold, optional
- Fill a small pot with enough water to submerge the kidney.
- Cover and bring water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat, add kidney and leave the lid cracked to allow heat to escape.
- Boil for 8 minutes, monitor the heat so water does not boil over.
- Remove from heat. Drain water and quickly rinse kidney under cool water if desired.
- To serve, simply cut into half, medallions or bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with optional salt to taste and eat with cold butter ad libitum.
The fat is excellent and should be left on.
Cooking time may vary due to the size of kidney. I cook the average beef kidney for 8 minutes, extra-large ones may go for as long as 10 minutes. Lamb, sheep, and goat kidneys are smaller, typically I only boil them for 4 to 5 minutes or so.
You want the kidney to boil for the full cooking time. Regulate temperature by adjusting the flame and setting the lid more or less cracked (open) to find the sweet spot of boiling but not boiling over.