A long list of improvements
These are my health improvements after 1 year of cutting out all plants and dairy from my diet.
- Healed knee: I had a bike accident as a kid and have always felt a slight pain in my knee since then. My knee is now completely healed. The healing process took 6 month and my body performed something akin to surgery on it self: my knee got really swollen during the healing process and I felt something (which I believe was a tiny piece of gravel left from the bike accident) was being pulled out of my knee.
- No more back pain: I would wake up every morning with cramp in my back muscles. it’s all gone now.
- No more stiff muscles: most of my muscles used to be really stiff.
- Better bowel movements, no more diarrhea, no more bloody stool
- Better digestion
- No more night sweats. I would occasionally wake up during the night and my pillow would be soaked in sweat. No more.
- Not tired when I wake up in the morning. I’ve become a morning person.
- Not tired after eating.
- Better eyesight: everything is much sharper and colors are really vivid. I used to have to squint on sunny days before. Not anymore.
- Ocular migraine is gone: I think this is due to quitting coffee.
- Cleansed sinuses: my sinuses always used to be clogged up. now they have been cleansed. I have felt my pulse in my sinuses for the last 12 months.
- Regained sense of smell: directly after starting zero carb I noticed that I could smell the perfume of people on the streets. This had never happened before.
- No more anxiety: I used to get stressed out over stupid things. Now I’m the calmest I’ve ever been. I think this is due to quitting coffee.
- Better memory.
- Better cognitive functions.
- Constantly high energy levels.
- Better sleep and better dreams. I have not had a nightmare since I started with this diet.
- No more dry skin.
- No physical fatigue: I feel stronger than I’ve ever felt before.
- No winter cold: this is the first year in +10 years that I haven’t had a cold.
- No more nosebleed: I used to get nosebleeds on a regular basis. It’s all gone now.
- Happier: I’ve never felt this happy in my life before. Now I get sudden bursts of euphoria from time to time.
- Better fine motor skills: playing the piano has never been this easy.
- No more red hands: my hands used to occasionally turn red. Not anymore.
- No more white fingers (Raynaud syndrome): I think this is due to quitting coffee.
- No cravings for food: I used to get cravings for e.g. ice cream and chocolate. Now I only feel hunger.
- No more pain between toes (Morton’s neuroma).
- Gaining weight: I’ve always been tall and skinny and has never been able to gain either muscle mass or body fat. Now I’m starting to gain weight as my body is absorbing the food I eat.
- Quick recovery after physical exercise. I play squash, do TRX, and ride racing bike and recovery has never been this quick. Hardly any muscle soreness.
More stuff has happened that I cannot put into words. I just know that my body feels better and that something has healed that I don’t know what it is. I just feel that I have increased my life expectancy by many years.
About the process
All of this happened just because I stopped eating plants and dairy! Better yet, I haven’t paid a penny for it and haven’t been to an MD The Internet has been my only resource. That being said, the healing process was quite intense. I certainly got the keto flu and was many time questioning if I was doing the right thing. I want to thank everyone who has gone through this process and has shared their stories on the Internet. Without having access to all these personal stories I don’t think I would have continued all the way through. Heck, I wouldn’t have come across this diet to start with if it wasn’t for the Internet! This is why I want to share my experience with everyone.
DISCLAIMER: I’m not an MD and have no training or education in nutrition whatsoever. This is purely anecdotal information. As such, I do not give any dietary recommendations. You will have to decide yourself what diet you chose to have. I’m an engineer and academic researcher, and as such the only thing I recommend is that you experiment with different diets and listen to your own body and how it reacts to the food you eat.