Follow a 4-step process to slow-cook Easy Braised Beef Shank to perfection. Tender, collagen-rich meat, falling off the bone, makes an affordable, nourishing meal at any time of the year!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Equipment (choose one)
- Cast iron skillet with a lid
- Dutch oven
- Crock pot
- 1 tablespoon tallow butter, ghee, or other cooking fat
- 4 pieces beef shank 1-inch thick
- 2-3 cups bone broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt plus extra as needed
- Heat cooking fat in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet (with lid) or Dutch oven. Once smoking, brown both sides of the beef shanks, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Pour broth over shanks. Season with salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and cover with lid, leaving a small opening for the steam to escape.
- Cook over low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Serve warm in broth, with extra fat as needed.
Crockpot option: Place meat in the bottom of a slow-cooker, pour broth over and season with salt. Cover with the lid and turn on low. Cook for 4-6 hours until easily falls off the bone.