Follow an easy 4-step process to slow cook Braised Beef Shank carnivore style. It is a nourishing and affordable low-carb meal for any time of the year.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Equipment (choose one)
- Cast iron skillet with a lid
- Dutch oven
- 1 tablespoon tallow butter, ghee, or other cooking fat
- 4 pieces beef shank 1-inch thick, 8 ounces each
- 2-3 cups bone broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt plus extra as needed
- Heat cooking fat in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet with a lid or Dutch oven. Brown both sides of the beef shanks, about 2-3 minutes per side, until a golden-brown crust forms.
- Pour broth over shanks. Use at least 2 cups of broth. There should be enough broth to cover the meat ½ to ¾ of the way up the side. Season with salt. Bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and cover with a lid, but leave a small opening for the steam to escape.
- Cook over low heat for 3 hours, until the meat falls off the bone. Serve warm in liquid.
Keto Osso Buco In the last 30 minutes of the cooking time, add any of the vegetable and herb combinations listed in the recipe post and simmer with the meat.
Oven option Follow steps 1-2 then after the broth is at a simmer, put the lid on and transfer to the oven to bake for 2 hours.
Crockpot option Place meat in the bottom of a slow-cooker, pour broth over and season with salt. Cover with the lid and turn on low. Cook for 4-6 hours until easily falls off the bone.
Instant pot option Season the meat. Turn on the Instant pot and select sauté. Once hot add cooking fat to the pot and sear the meat, about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Add in broth. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Natural release pressure for 15 minutes then manually release the remaining pressure.