Pickled eggs are great to snack on, serve as an appetizer, or add to the side of a meal. Not only are they fun to make, but the tangy salty flavor is also so delicious! In this easy pickled egg recipe, there is no canning equipment required because we use brine and the power of a refrigerator instead. It’s so simple!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cure Time: 2+ days
Serves: 8 eggs
- 8 hard-boiled eggs peeled
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ small onion sliced
- 2 tbsps pickling spices
- 1 tsp salt
- Add the peeled hard-boiled eggs to a clean glass jar.
- Bring the water, vinegar, onion, spices, and salt to a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour liquid over the eggs and seal the jar.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and leave to sit for at least 2 days until ready to eat. If you can, waiting 1 week is best.
- Store in the fridge. Serve whole or sliced with meat or by themselves.
If you do not have pickling spices, use cloves of garlic, dried herbs and seeds instead. I use 1 tsp dried herb per liter of water/vinegar brine, which covers 8-10 hard boiled eggs.