I hope my story might help someone else, who might be in a similar situation, or give some insight to what a low fat high carbohydrate diet can do to ones body over 30 years.
I’m 6’4″, and 5 years ago I weighed about 112kg, with a measurement around the stomach of about 112cm – I was getting big, but I honestly thought that I wasn’t eating so bad. I’ve never been a vegan or vegetarian, but I used to eat a low fat, high carb diet – I was generally anti-fat on meat (if I could see it), and simply didn’t really know it. I ate bread with reckless abandon, and loved potatoes – generally cooked in vegetable fats. I would say I was indoctrinated to despise animal fat (as that’s what makes you fat right?!).
I did a blood test in July 2014, but it was all fucked – my lipds were way off, I was told cut back on fats, otherwise we’ll have to put you on statins – I read a book by David Gillespie, and a book by Yudkin, and I resolved to get better, and I cut back on fats more, and I gave up all refined or added sugars about 4 years ago – as a consequence,
– I stopped getting hayfever (had it since I was 10 years old, 200 tablets per year, now zero)
– stopped getting nosebleeds (hadn’t ever had one up until 3 years prior
– stopped getting colds, and sick
– stopped having inflamed glands on my neck and back of head
– stopped feeling like shit when I woke up, not sleeping very well at this point still though
– stopped getting plantar fasciitis, it cleared up
– lost about 20kg
– lost 15cm off the waist (awesome!)
I was eating ethically, buying local produce, ethically raised animals, and organic or self-grown vegetables .. I truly thought I was doing really good and had found the key with cutting out all added fructose and sugars – surely it would help my bloods. In August last year I did another blood test. Again, the bloods are still all fucked up – “But I’m eating bloody good right?! This is completely fucked up, what the!” .. I should be getting better in these lipid tests, wtf! But I was still eating bread, potato, minimal fish, etc etc ..
Then I started reading more, and fell across Tim Noakes, Nina Teicholz, Zoe Harcombe, and I was starting to feel my mind going, foggy and cloudy .. then about 10 weeks ago I gave up all refined carbohydrates – no bread, no potatoes, and cut my net carb instake back to about 30-35g per day. I jumped in ..
I did another blood test and got my results back on Friday, and while the doc was a bit concerned with my overall cholesterol level and my LDL, knowing what I know now I’m really not concerned at all with these .. these are my key stats past to now:
Total Chol: 6.8
VLDL (trig/2.2): 1.32
Total Chol: 6.4
VLDL (trig/2.2): 1.41
Total Chol: 6.7
VLDL (trig/2.2): 0.54
So .. although I was eating as they wanted me to, and trying my hardest, my VLDL and triglicerides were heading in the completely wrong direction that I wanted them to, in the worst possible way!
Apart from the improved blood results
– my mind has cleared, and while I never thought I was heading that way I reckon my memory, my clarity has improved massively. I feel smarter, not because I think I know any better but my mind is faster
– stopped having bad nights sleep insomnia
– stopped getting itchy skin on trunk and neck
– I have 20/20 vision but I think my vision improved massively
– the awake/asleep switch (as in being awake or asleep is faster, and clearer – if that makes sense).
– lost another 10kg, down to 79-80kg
– lost another 6cm on the waist, down to 86cm
I did struggle through the keto flu for about 4-5 weeks, with some lethargy, and sleep issues, and a headache here or there, I now think I’m beyond that, and feel 100%.
I’ve not been this size, or weight since I was 19 years old. I’m eating better food, feeling full, really only eating twice per day but never hungry.
I truly believe my body was saying “you’ve had enough carbs mate, back the fuck off them or we’re going to fuck you up permanently”.
Anyway, lchf, saved my life.
My name is Ina, and this is my story. It all started from birth I suppose. I never experienced any major health issues, I was an extremely energetic kid, but I dreaded afternoon sleeping and eating in general. (Just for the record, 7 yo, 19 kg). Everyone thought I was super allergic to the